April 23, 2009

FOR THE LOVE OF NANNER PUDDIN'

My Facebook friends are probably tired of hearing me wax on about my recent craving for and undying love of Bill Smith's Really Good Banana Pudding. My oldest friends might wonder what, pray tell, has happened to me, for they know I've harbored a lifelong dislike of bananas--their taste, that is. I do very much appreciate the banana as a fruit. But I've never really enjoyed eating them, unless they came in the form of banana bread. I have to say, though, Bill and his pudding converted me. I think it might have had something to do with the meringue.

Bill is the chef at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and every time I'm in the area, I have to have a meal with Bill and end it with a healthy dose of his take on this sweet Southern staple (and/or his honeysuckle sorbet, which is heaven on a spoon). Bill included the recipe for his Really Good Banana Pudding in his book, Seasoned in the South:Recipes from Crook's Corner and from Home. If you're looking for another Southern cookbook to add to your collection, pick it up. Bill not only has a way with recipes, but a way for conveying the joy he gets from cooking food, eating it and sharing it with friends. His enthusiasm in infectious. So is his nanner puddin'.

So, to get to the point, I made Bill's Really Good Banana Pudding last weekend. It was better than really good; it was divine. Although I recall that Bill is pretty heavy-handed with his application of meringue, which makes the dish all the more playful and enticing. I think I held back a bit with this first try. But I certainly don't have a problem with trying again.

By the way, for those of you too impatient to get your hands on a copy of Bill's book, his banana pudding recipe recently made an appearance online. You can find it right here.

5 comments:

Varmint said...

Oh, yes, Amy. You have found the divine, the mighty fine, the somewhat sublime nanner puddin'. This is strong work, Amy -- strong as train smoke, and you're to be praised for preaching the gospel of Bill's nanner puddin'.

Amy C Evans said...

Aw, shucks, Dean, thanks. And I envy you for your proximity to Crook's. I do hope you go there often.

Nicole Lang said...

My hubs was raised in Danville, VA. And banana pudding is his all time fave. I have never made it proper, usually I slap that goodness into a pie. This is so inspiring! As soon as I unpack at the new place, I am making it! Thanks Amy!

Alexa said...

I can't imagine what this pudding would do for someone who loves bananas, like me! That is a work of art. I'm running off to my Amazon wish list right now...

Amy C Evans said...

Nicole: Do let me know what the hubby thinks of this take on his sentimental fave. I have to say, it rocks.

Alexa: You should have nanner puddin' AND red velvet cake for your birthday!